Eat, Stay and Live local – travel made easy
These tours are just the right time between included activities and you time, – it’s travel made easy
We have a variety of tours from Real Food Adventures of 8 – 15 days to Bite Sized Breaks of 2 – 4 days.
Real Food Adventure – Vietnam – Travel to Vietnam and savour its culture and cuisine from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
Chop, slice and eat your way through Vietnam, experiencing one of the freshest and most fragrant cuisines on the planet
From pho and ancient buildings in Hanoi, banh khoai and imperial citadels in Hue, banh xeo and lantern-lit streets in Hoi An and banh canh and pulsating markets in Ho Chi Minh City, experience Vietnam’s cuisine and its tightly woven place within its culture. Drink in cafes and beer halls that sprawl out over city streets, buy fruit from wicker baskets draped over a vendor’s shoulders and sit at market stalls as aromatic noodle soups are whipped up in front of you. Experience all of Vietnam’s iconic sights, spend time cooking some of the country’s top dishes and get a true taste of Vietnam on this delectable Real Food Adventure.
- Get the lowdown on north, central and southern Vietnamese cooking at the country’s best cooking schools
- A street food tour of Hanoi takes you to the best spots in town to sample northern specialties like pho, bun cha and the golden-yellow xoi xeo (sticky rice with mung bean and fried onion)
- Get around the romantic riverside town of Hue in true local style – on the back of a motorcycle
- With two nights in Hoi An, there’s plenty of time to take in magic of this standout destination. Take a cooking class, cycle through herb gardens and be dazzled by the Ancient Town
- The Vietnamese people are some of the most welcoming in the world. A homestay on the Mekong Delta allows you to experience their hospitality, learn their kitchen secrets and get an insight into rural life
- No trip to Vietnam is complete without some history lessons. Visit the Imperial Citadel in Hue and the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City
Tour Cost: 12 days from $1987 per person
Real Food Adventure – Sri Lanka- there’s a new adventure on every plate with this food exploration of Sri Lanka
Leave moderation at home and indulge on this gourmet adventure in Sri Lanka – the new black.
Lie back on the coast, cool down in the highlands and weave through the streets of the buzzing capital. Taste melt-in-the mouth desserts, cook seafood straight out of the hands of a fisherman, uncover fiery curries and spend time with welcoming locals keen to share the mysteries of Sri Lankan cuisine. There’s also time to explore the rich culture of Sri Lanka: elaborate temples, ancient fortresses and wildlife-filled countryside. This is truly an adventure for the senses.
- Witness the amazing Sri Lankan seafood on offer at the Negombo seafood market
- Spend time with welcoming locals keen to share the mysteries of Sri Lankan cuisine – learn Tamil, Sinhalese, and Bergher cooking in their homes
- Soak up the scenery while sipping a glass of the local arak – Sri Lanka’s signature local liquor
- Spoil your tastebuds with flavour-filled curries and sweet desserts, and treat your eyes to banquets of rainbow spices, vibrant vegetables and colourful sambol
Tour cost: 12 days from $2449
Note: Many of the cooking experiences on this trip are in local homes, as this is where some of the best food is to be found. While you’ll have the chance to get involved in the preparations in the kitchen, learning will be in a more informal environment.
Real Food Adventure – Japan, Spoil the senses on a culinary tour from Tokyo to Kyoto
Pack your chopsticks and celebrate thousands of years of food artistry by diving into one of the world’s most elegant, eclectic and harmonious cuisines
Spend your time spent seeing the sights and scouting out prized eating and drinking spots. Watch yakitori sizzling in front of you in Shinjuku’s Memory Lane, eat fresh-off-the-boat sashimi at the incredible Tsukiji Fish Market and learn to make soba noodles in a hands-on cooking class. Glimpse a geisha drifting through the alleyways of Gion while in Kyoto and experience a charming obanzai dinner of Kyoto-style home-cooked dishes. Stay in a traditional ryokan in Takayama and eat vegetarian shojin ryori (monastic fare) with monks in Koyasan. If you’re looking for a trip that tantalises the tastebuds as well as sates a sense of adventure, this Japan Real Food Adventure ticks all the boxes.
- Food is taken seriously in Japan. From the station tonkatsu restaurant to the highest end sushi, Japanese people take pride in the cooking and presentation, and any bad meal is incredibly rare
- Tasting the succulent Hida beef in Takayama is the definition of a melt-in-your-mouth moment
- Exploring the unexpected underground foodie treasure trove that is a depachika (department store food court)
- Staying alongside the brothers of a monastery in Koya-san and discovering shojin ryori – vegetarian buddhist food that seeks enlightenment through perfection in cooking
- Experiencing the simple pleasures of obanzai ryori – the traditional home cuisine of Kyoto – in a cooking class
- Snacking on awesome and adventurous street food in the unofficial culinary capital of Osaka
Tour cost: 12 Days from $6249 per person
Real Food Adventure Thailand – Take a culinary journey through Bangkok and Chiang Mai
An adventure in flavour, experience the fresh aromas and heavenly spices that make Thai food a worldwide phenomenon.
Explore bustling markets spread out over land and water, and taste exotic fruits and aromatic dishes whipped up in front of your eyes. Learn the trick behind making palm sugar, experience the thrill of a passing train in the Mae Glong railway market, slurp noodles alongside the locals in Bangkok, whip up a jungle curry in Kanchanaburi, enjoy home cooking with a family in Chiang Mai, sit down to a Khantohk feast and tour all the must-see sights of Thailand in one incredible culinary journey through one of South-East Asia’s most seductive food cultures. You will travel via Sleeper Train and tuk tuk on this tour.
- Discover a world of Thai food beyond the obvious (we do not deny delicious) dishes of Pad Thai and Thai Green curry – experience new Thai tastes, like ‘boat noodles’ and khao soi in Ayutthaya
- Whip up northern Thai khantohk specialties with Aoi outside of Chiang Mai, and live Thai life from a local’s perspective with a stay in her home
- Experience the eye-opening and surprising world of Thai food markets, filled with unpredictable tastes and found in unexpected places – floating on a river or set up on a railway track!
- Get ready for a hands-on masterclass in Central Thai cuisine in Kanchanaburi, browsing the market to pick fresh produce before feasting on your creations
Tour Cost: 8 days from $1069 per person
Real Food Adventure – Cambodia, a food tour from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
Forget any resemblance to the cuisines of Vietnam, Thailand and Laos; Cambodia has a unique and ancient food culture that is truly exotic
Using pepper rather than chilli to add spice, Cambodian cuisine is laden with fresh herbs, spices, rice, freshwater fish and condiments. And while there are influences from French and Thai cooking, Cambodian food has a style and flavour all its own. Travel from Phnom Penh through to Siem Reap, discover the sights, sounds and flavours of Kampot, Battambang, Banteay Chhmar and Angkor Wat, and marvel at a cuisine, culture and population so special that you will very quickly be won over for life.
- Discover Cambodia’s vibrant culinary scene, the incredible tastes and smells and Khmer food that are often overshadowed by neighbouring Vietnam and Thailand
- Get an insight into Cambodian cuisine with a visit to famous pepper plantations outside of Kampot, and taste the best pepper in the world
- A homestay in the village of Banteay Chhmar puts you right in the heart of rural life in Cambodia
- Dine on local favourites by torchlight in the atmospheric grounds of a ruined Angkorian temple
- ‘Eat for a cause’ with dinner at a Phnom Penh restaurant that not only serves delicious modern Cambodian cooking, but helps the local youth too
- Select your own crab and have it cooked up fresh while you look out across the Gulf of Thailand at the Kep Crab market
Tour Cost: 10 days from $1579 per person
Real Food Italian Adventure – Uncover the secrets of Italian cuisine while travelling from Rome to Venice
Italians are the masters of creating simple dishes that sing with flavour. Regional, seasonal and as fresh as possible, Italy’s cuisine is hearty, satisfying and made with heart.
Inspired by the kitchens of the nonna, Italy’s food is authentic and surprising – pizza and pasta are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the diverse array of unforgettable food you’ll find on this adventure that travels from Rome to Venice via San Gimignano and Bologna.
Italy is a foodie’s paradise, but as a visitor it can be hard to escape the tourist traps. Your local leaders will give you an insider’s guide to this epicurean wonderland. This trip takes in some of the titans of regional Italian cuisine – Rome (Lazio region), Tuscany, Emilia Romagna and Venice. Note: the main transport on this trip is by train – fast, efficient, local and comfortable.
Tour cost: 8 days from $2779 per person
Real Food Southern Italy Adventure- Discover why the southern Italian regions of Abruzzo, Puglia and Campania are the newest foodie hot spots everyone’s raving about
Dine on a converted fishing platform on the Adriatic Sea, savour Apulian classics in a fortified farmhouse, sample organic mozzarella di bufala direct from the source and sip limoncello while soaking up the charming surrounds of Sorrento, overnight in a Masseria farmhouse.
- Pack your own picnic at a prized Apulian bakery
- Lose yourself in the ancient city of Matera, which sits dramatically on the edge of the Gravina gorge
- Get your hands dirty in a cooking masterclass and prepare a traditional Campania feast
- Experience an unforgettable dinner by the Adriatic Sea while on a traditional trabocco fishing house in Fossacesia
Tour Cost: 7 days from $2889 per person
Note: Prices are per person subject to availability, based on cash transfer of funds, costings are based on cheapest departure this year, other dates may have a different cost. Airfares are additional.